Friday, December 11, 2009

The Dilemma


I have been riding my bike now for 2 years, and have come across a horrible problem.  The new bike of the year problem.  You see, when I first started riding I did not know if I would be riding for very long, or let alone like it, so we bought the most economic bike that would meet my needs--the Trek 3700 (bought mid-September, 2007).

This bike was the perfect bike to learn to ride on.  I would ride up the road and ride the Provo Trail many times, but it did not take long for me to want to ride on dirt.  So I then took the bike to Lambert Park, and that is where I began my first rides.  I loved riding the dirt and despite many falls, and mishaps I kept riding trying to get better.  It did not take long before I felt like I wanted to upgrade to a bike that was meant for the dirt. 

Not knowing much about bikes I put my trust in the local bike shop and was directed to a 2007 Trek WSD Fuel Ex (bought November, 2007).  This was the perfect bike for me.  It was a full suspension bike, that made riding all of the trails at Lambert Park that much easier.  I loved it and riding the trails became that much more fun, and I started to get better.

After only riding a bike for a couple of months I came to the next step in my riding and decided I wanted to ride.  This seemed like the natural course for me to go and I did.  In December of 2007 I joined one the of teams in the area, and spent 2008 racing and riding on my Fuel.  I loved this bike, there were no complaints.  But then my husband had to go and ruin it.  He had to go and buy me a Superfly.

Now of course I am not complaining one bit about this purchase, I love my Superfly.  Let me reiterate I absolutely love my Superfly.  However it has tainted me against my Fuel and 26 inch wheels.  I enjoy riding my fuel, but it is not the same and I much more love riding my Superfly.  So now my world is complete and I have the ultimate bike and would not think twice about riding anything different.....or would I.

Here is the dilemma...

The new ultimate of bikes, the Superfly 100.  I have known about this bike for quite some time, but was not worried.  I love my bike and do not need or want anything else.  But then I saw the bike at the store, and then I sat on the bike at the store, and then I rode the bike at the store.  The bike has a great full suspension, but is also very stiff.  I could have a light full suspension bike, with 29 inch wheels, but also a bike I could race.  I could have the best of both worlds, full suspension and almost hard tail.

So what do I do?  Do I sell my Fuel and Superfly and get this fabulous new bike, or do I keep what I have and ride the fuel occasionally?  This is the dilemma, or so it was until yesterday.

Merry Christmas!  Thanks honey!  I can't wait to ride my new bike!  My husband spoils me.  He tried to keep it a secret, but needed some details to order the bike.  By the way does anyone want to buy my Trek Fuel?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome! For all the long hours you put in riding, and all the joy you get out of it, you deserve the superfly 100.
R.

Anonymous said...

geez. weren't you already fast enough!!?!! Glad you got the bike. You deserve it.

29er said...

You are really getting this bike?!! Unbelievable! Can I take it for a little ride- pretty please?