Saturday was supposed to be a group ride with the bike peddler group. However, it turned in to one of those days where I just needed to ride and be alone, so I took off for one of my favorite trails in AF Canyon.
The ride started out with me going about 3/4 of a mile when I start to hear a ringing in the distance. I stopped and pulled over, because I knew immediately it was Steve. He has a bear bell on his bike now and it works great. I think I may need to get one of those. We visited for a moment, found out he made it in the Christmas Carol at the Hale theater center--congrats' Steve, and the I went on my way.
I went about another mile down the trail when I say a kid on a motorcycle and his dad. Dad was trying to remedy things since his son has crashed. He had his hands full with a toddler on his bike, which he was holding up while at the same time trying to restart the little motor bike that his son had crashed. I did ask if he needed help, but he said no. I wonder if he ever got it started???
Further down the trail towards the pine hollow and ridge trail intersection I ran into 2 hunters. One was on a horse and the other was leading a horse. We visited for a moment, and then I asked the silly blonde question if they had seen any deer. Yep they had, and it was on the horse the hunter was leading. I really need to work on my observation skills.
My next meeting turned out to be a life saver. I was pulling into 4 corners area and there were 2 motorcyclists. We exchanged greetings however my greeting was more one of concern as I noted my rear brake was not working. I was trying to figure out how to go down Deer Creek South Fork without a rear brake. One of the riders also rides mountain bikes and knows about hydraulic brakes. He was able to help me and get my brake fixed. Whew! It would have been interesting riding without the rear brake, and I am much too stubborn or foolish to get off and walk my bike.
Going down Deer Creek was great as it always is. In fact towards the end of the downhill I actually started to get sad it was over. Near the end I ran into 3 other riders going up the trail. I jokingly told them they were going the wrong way and they asked me if they were. We talked for a moment and sure enough they were. I told them the right way to go and then rode with them up to the Pine Hollow, Ridge trail intersection. It turned out riding with others was a good distraction for the day. I got to meet new people which was a lot of fun.
As we rode and got to the Summit, we arrived on the Bike Peddler group ride. I was happy to see them and really wanted to stay and ride with them, but I knew my husband would probably send out a search team if I was too late getting home. Unfortunately my cell does not work there, and believe me I tried. I saw Josh--great hair cut by the way, and Gareth and I know I recognised a few others, but the people I was guiding were anxious to ride on.
As we rode up the trail I ran in to Kyle from UMB. He also works at Bike Peddler. He was on his new ride, which is really sweet--not as sweet as mine, but sweet enough. It was much too clean, and apparently this was not his first ride on it either. I think I need to learn how to clean my bike better even his tires were pristine.
After leaving Kyle I led my new friends to their turn off and continued on my way. Towards the bottom of pine hollow hill when you are going really fast I came upon 3 hunters. I don't know who was more startled them or me. Glad they did not have their guns ready.
I kept riding thinking surely I would not see anyone else, but sure enough I ran in to a rider in a UMB jersey. Hopefully he is joining the team, because I have not seen him before. He was not too talkative and neither were the other 2 riders I came upon which is good, because I was running late and you know how it can be if you get home too late from a ride.
In the parking lot I met another motorcyclist and he commented on my muddy appearance...Forgot to mention parts of the pine hollow trail had the wet, slick mud and I got a lot of it on me. Definitely brings a smile to my face.
The ride was a lot of fun and it turns out that even when you want to ride alone you are never really alone.
2 comments:
As always, nice blog KC. Ia always enjoy reading them!
Sorry that was me- and apparently I can't spell either!
Steve
Post a Comment