Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chevron

Went on a new trail today, and it was a lot of fun. It is called Chevron, because it is right about the Texaco gas station at the Provo Trail head. The Texaco station used to be a Chevron station hence the trail name.

The trail is short but fun. It starts out with an immediate killer climb. And when I say killer it means my asthma was going to the point I had to stop. Since I can usually keep going you know this climb was intense. Of course it could have been I was in the wrong gear and trying too hard, but I do not think that was the case, I think it was intense. The thing about this climb, is it does not stop. You do have a couple of opportunities to level out, but they are short, and if I remember correctly there are only 2 breaks. Other than that it is straight up.

The nice part about riding this trail in the dark is you do not realize how steep the incline is or how far you have to go. You just keep going because you do not know any better. Which is exactly what happened to me. I kept going until we got to the top. There were a couple of stops due to mechanicals and me not knowing where to go, but other than that we went straight up. The trail ends somewhere above the water tower in Orem, but I do not know exactly where as it was dark, and instead of going down the service road we went down a single track to where we started.

The single track was a blast. It actually had one hill that reminded me of bear claw poppy. That kind of hill is worth doing any climb for. I have to say as steep as the climb was I can't wait to go back and do it again. This time I would like to see if I can do it without stopping.

No comments: