Friday, November 27, 2009

The Ride that Didn't Happen

Last night I did some maintenance to my bike.  I switched from spd's to eggbeaters, added super juice to my front tire, removed the tube from my back tire and set it back to tubeless.  The set up on the back did not go to well. Apparently the back tire had one spot right at the rim that would not set, but after some tipping of the tire and getting the tire just right it finally set.

My planned ride for today was up the road by the cemetary and then take the BST all the way past Dry Canyon.  I have been thinking about this ride all week and couldn't wait.  The ride to the start of the trail went fine, and then I hit dirt.  Riding dirt is the best feeling in the world.

Just as I was starting up the steep part of the BST I noticed my bike tire wobbling.  I stopped and saw the tire was low.  I got out a cartridge and filled it.  As soon as I filled the tire up air started to spurt out.  I tilted it for it to seal up and it did.  I then got back on and continued up the hill.  I went about  5 feet and air started to come out of the tire again.  I stopped tilted the bike, it sealed, and then I assessed the situation.

I had one cartridge left and no air pump.  I could put the tube in I had, but the cartridge would not be able to fill it enough to ride.  I decided I would let some air out of the tire and see why the seal was not sealing at this particular spot.  When I did this a discovered a hole right by the rim on tire.  There was not way the hole could stay sealed.  I sat thinking what I could do so I could get home.

I decided if I put a patch on the outside, it would probably hold until I got home.  So for the first time in 2 years of owning a patch kit I put it to use.  Did you know the glue in a patch kit does not last for 2 years, even if you never open it???  So now the patch idea is out.  Next best idea.  Fill up the tire and cross my fingers I get home, and plan a dirt ride for another day.

It worked I filled it up and was able to get home.  The tire was fairly low, but I made it!  I guess it is time to buy new tire, the 3rd one this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All that over a tiny hole. Makes you think about life and how it goes. Sometimes things seem so difficult and you can never get it just right, and then, wha la, you find it was nothing more than "a tiny hole". You fix it and it makes everything go smooth again.