One of my favorite rides is in AF Canyon. I have written about this particular trail before, and I absolutely love it. I have ridden other trails, but always have an aching to ride this trail. Today I got to go ride the trail with Jolene. We were very excited, because Jolene had heard from Steve the trail was in great condition, and we did not want to miss this great opportunity.
The gate in AF Canyon is closed, so we parked at Pine Hollow. Our choice was to go up the road to Timpanooke or up Pine Hollow Trail. We have never gone up Pine Hollow so we choose this route. The first part of Pine Hollow is not so bad, but after the first little bit it then goes up and up and up, and not a little easy up the loose rock, over rocks and roots up. I loved going up this way, it was hard, but better than going up the road.
A glimpse of Pine Hollow, however it doesn't do it justice.
As we went along the trail we discovered the trail was quit muddy in spots, luckily it was only spots, but there were times my tires were covered in mud. The further up the trail twe went the cooler it seemed to get, by the time we got to the first overlook it was time to put on our jackets. As we did so Jolene noticed the snow on the back side of the mountain. I could not believe how much snow there was.
I would like to say the rest of the ride went well, and for the most part it did except for the downhill part going towards four corners. On the downhill I was having a blast, I came around a turn and realized I was heading right for this big bush/tree. There wasn't much to do except go into the bush. I fully expected to over and into the bush and down the hill, but instead there was a really big branch that caused me to richet off to the left backwards onto the trail and onto a very big rock. And yes I hit my tail bone right on the rock!
Now after most of my crashes I usually get right up. After this crash I felt a shock go up my spine, and I just stayed laying on the trail. As I was laying there I was hoping the next rider would see me and not run me over, and he did. Tim helped to get my bike off me, and then Jolene arrived. I just stayed on the trail in the fetal postion waiting for the moment I could start to move again. I don't know how long I was there, but it felt forever before I was able to get up.
Once I was up we took off. After a time I eventually forgot about the pain in my back side and lost myself in the joy of riding the trail. On our ride around the loop we decided to take Salamander Flats back instead of Pine Hollow, which made for a phenominal ride.
By the time we got to Timpanooke parking lot the sun was dipping and we needed to put on the remainder of our warm clothes. Luckily the ride to Pine Hollow parking lot is only a little over mile, so we did not get too cold--just cold enough to want to jump into the car and get warm. It was as I jumped into the car I was given a cruel reminder of my crash. And much to my shock I discovered my left butt check was swollen and hurt in the I don't want to sit down way. However, as I write this I am sitting--on an ice pack!
Jolene coming down the hill .



2 comments:
What a Bummer ;)
Hey, I installed that sign Jolene is riding past!
Yesterday was even drier- virtually no mud splatter on me or my bike!
tallsteve
Post a Comment