I thought I would be ready to write the next day after my blog, but I have been very sleepy all week long. I think I need a full day of nothing but sleep. Next year I am taking Monday off after the race so I can sleep all day long.
Lap 3
Lap 3 began for me shortly after I finished lap 2. I went back to camp after my second lap and immediately ate a banana and a bagel. I then tucked Mandy in for the night, visited with the others, and went to bed for a couple of hours. Around 3 to 3:30 am I woke up to eat and get ready for my last and final lap. I tried to eat the wonderful soup Abby had made for us, but I couldn't my body refused to take in any food. I knew I needed food to do my next lap, but every time I swallowed I would gag. For the next two hours while I waited for Jen to come in and for me to go out I sat in my chair feeling sickish. Eventually I started to dry heave, now mind you there was food in my stomach, but I was doing my best to not let it come up. I finally gave up on the eating idea, and decided whatever happened on my next lap would happen, and went down to the tent to wait for Jen to come in.
As I waited for Jen I visited with other racers to keep my mind off not feeling so good. We shared stories and talked about how fun it would be to do the dawn ride. This was the lap where the sun comes up. I am not sure what time Jen came in, but we exchanged the baton, swiped our cards and I went to my bike. I was crossing my fingers that as I rode I would feel better and the sickish feeling would leave.
This lap was much quieter than my first night lap. People were now in their tents sleeping and if they were out by the campfires, they were quietly eating, drinking and visiting with other members of the camp. You could see the toll of the long night beginning to take affect on not just the racers, but the spectators too.
As I rode I felt very sluggish. My body was in a bit of a revolt and did not want to go. I think it did not understand why I had been up riding my bike so much. Mentally I was half and half up for it. I wanted to ride, but the physical part made it so I did not want to ride hard, so I didn't. Instead I rode with the goal in mind to complete the race. I was also very determined to keep up in good spirits. My laps prior I had talked and cheered everyone on as I rode by them, or as they rode by me. This lap I did the same thing. Funny thing, this lap others joined me in conversation. On previous laps it was quick "good job", "having fun", or something like that. This time people actually talked--at least those who were close to me. I think they were feeling the fatigue and their goal also was to finish the lap.
So I rode, but not very fast. As I rode the sickish feeling I was having began to diminish. This probably comes to as no surprise to those who have ridden with me. Usually when I ride the sickish feeling diminishes--at least while I am riding. With the sickish feeling leaving my legs picked up a little more speed, but I would say not a substantial amount. Then it happened somwhere near the top of the first hill I noticed I could see the trail. I could see the brush, the trees and some of the rocks. It was still dusky, but light was beginning to show. This was a good sign, because soon I would be able to see far down the trail. As luck would have it by the time I reached the first triple xxx I could see the trail without any light.
Being able to see the trail was a good thing, but it did not take away my fatigue. I was so tired that I was worried about riding the triple xxx's and making it down safely. It took all of the energy I had to ride down those hills and keep my bike upright on the trail. Now of course I could have walked the down hills, and I considered doing this, but I decided the only way I would walk them is if I crashed.
I am amazed at how I ended up down some of the hills. I would ride down take my line, and hope everything turned out okay, and lucky for me it did, and by lucky I do mean lucky. There was one triple xxx I took and when I was done I was amazed I made it down all of the rocks without going over my handle bars. They were huge, and I had not taken the best line. Thank goodness I was too afraid, for once, to use my brakes and just let my bike roll.
I was very happy after I had finished the last triple xxx before prostitute bluff, and as I rode out towards prostitute something amazing happened, the sun came up. I do not think I have been so happy to see the sun as I was at that moment. I was so happy I wanted to cry tears of joy at seeing the sun. It was as if a whole new day was about to begin, and for me it did. At this point I began to pick up the pace in my riding and actually started riding fast again--I felt wonderful.
From this point forward the ride got better and my strength returned. I rode and felt good. I still was not riding as fast as I could which I am sure Tim could attest to as he rode by me on the final up hill climb. He went by and it almost looked like I was standing still, but that's okay, because I was finally riding with strength, was passing people and was having a great time. I was able to take the final two triple xxx's with confidence and speed.
When I hit the final down I let everything go and flew down the double track. I rode past others, and skimmed through the sand. I was having a blast. And then it happened, I hit the final sand pit and for some reason this time I did not ride through, instead I ended up flying off my bike and face down in the dirt. Thank goodness sand is soft. The guy in front of me asked if I was okay, and I let him know I was doing great. His reply "your being too cheerful, and I am grumpy". Mine "the sun is out and it is a great day". He laughed and we rode on. As I rode past camp I hollered good morning to everyone, and then came into the tent to switch off with Dorothy. Told everyone good morning and headed back to camp. I was so happy, the sun was out and I had finished my last lap! I had done it!
I went back to camp, to eat, and of course still could not get any food down. Oh well, I was done and I knew eventually I would be able to eat again. Our team took 2nd place. The team that beat us, was dang fast. They had lap times that beat several pro-women. I believe they ended up being the first place women's team out of all of the women's teams. What is so impressive about this is all of them range in age from 44 on up. This gives me hope that I can get stronger and faster as I get older--at least I am sure going to try.
After the Race
I didn't stay for awards since I was so tired and still had to drive home, but Jen picked up our medals, and apparently we also got some type of cool sports drink too. When I arrived home I was exhausted and my legs were so swollen I could barley bend them. I tried to put both of my hands around my calf and the thumbs were 5 inches apart. I should have measured them, but I was too tired to care. It took 3 days for the swelling to go completely down. I also gained 7.5 pounds from the race. Which I have almost lost--it seems my body loves to retain water. It was not until Wednesday that I was finally hungry again, and boy was I hungry. I ended up eating a Wendy's bacon cheeseburger and fries, boy did it taste good.
Would I do this race again, you bet. I am hoping to go again next year, and this time I hope I can get in 4 laps instead of just 3.
3 comments:
Great race, proud of you dear daughter!
Great Job Kendra!! You, Jolene, Jen and Dorothy Rock!!!
-SalGal
Yo Kendra, where are you? Are you OK? This is unlike you to go more than say, a minute, without posting. Anyone in there?
A concerned reader....
Post a Comment