It is the beginning of the season for Intermountain Cup XC racing, and it was great to see old faces as well as new faces. I was very nervous and excited for the first race, so much so, that I forgot to pack many things, luckily nothing that had to do with riding my bike, unless you count the bite valve Mandy needed for her camel bak. Thanks Dennis and Mad Dog Cycles for getting this too us before her race.
Our fat cat trying to stow away, unfortunately she is too fat.
Our arrival in St. George was the Friday before the race. It was awesome to leave the snow, and roll into warm weather and sunshine. The plan was to take Mandy out on her bike and see if she wanted to race the course. She insisted all the way down she wanted to race, but I was hesitant. She hadn't ridden her new 26 inch wheels on dirt, and I wasn't sure how it would feel to her.
It turns out she loved it. In fact she cleared every hill and there was no walking! Nothing makes me happier than seeing my daughter not push her bike! We did 2 laps and she was determined she was going to race. Which meant we had to go and get her registered. I was already registered, but Mandy is going to be a race by race basis.
The morning of the race was slightly overcast, but you could tell it was going to be a great day. I was hyrdrating as much as possible and trying to get as many electrolytes into my system before the race began, so I wouldn't have any issues with my vasovegal syndrome. This meant I ended up taking a couple trips to the bathrooms, which happened to be way off in the distance! I would also like to thank the gentleman that did not lock his outhouse door for the comedic relief, nothing like a good laugh for me and everyone else that discovered there was someone in an unlocked out house.
This year I am racing sport. Which means I get to see Mandy take off at the start line for some of the races, and cheer her on. I also got to see all of the 35+ women take off. It was fun being on the other side and not having to worry--at least for the moment.
Mandy and Dakota waiting their turn.
Showing their fierceness to rock the course.
Mandy's race went well. She had a lot of fun (according to her), and actually passed a couple of riders. She ended up taking 5th out of the girls and had a great time hanging out with her friends after her race was done.
Mandy at the finish line.
Mandy having fun after the race...anyone have a shower close by!
About the time I saw my child like this I was beginning to become of bundle of nerves. I was very nervous about racing sport division. What would it be like to race 2 laps, what could I expect coming around my second lap, what would I need to do so I wouldn't blow up. I had a lot of questions, but no answers. Thank goodness Dorothy and Wendy stepped in as substitute mom's helping get Mandy cleaned up. I don't think I would have survived without their help.
The team did a warm-up on the course an hour before the race. I went with them up to the 12-10 year old course turn off and opted to take the 12-10 year old route. I was not sure what would happen if I did the full course. I didn't want to tire myself out before the race began. My warm up was nice. Although I did have to go off the course a little bit, so I could get some hill climbing in. I ended up finishing way before lining up. Lesson #1-muscles need to be warm when lining up, not cooled down.
Lining up I ended up knowing a good amount of the sport riders. This was good, because it helped to calm my nerves (although my hr monitor was saying something totally different). Jen and I were talking, and she decided not to go out fast, I told her I wasn't, and then changed my mind. So here's what happened, I went out fast, and then realized I needed to back off (legs not warm enough), Jen didn't and realized she needed to get around the girls and to the front. We totally should have switched places.
Off the start line.
My goal was to hang with the group and on the hills start working my way up the line. This was a good plan, except for one thing. Right after the first wash there is a litte up hill steep that is slightly technical. I have never had problems on this, however the person right by me did, and ended up blocking my way up. I ended up off my bike running up the hill as riders were passing and the front of the sport group was pulling away. Oh well, what's a person to do, but jump back on their bike and keep on riding.
At this point I decided I needed to hydrate. I pulled my water bottle out, and it completely flipped out of my hand! For a split second I thought about turning around and getting it, but went "no way", and kept going. Lucky for me just before my warm-up, my water bottle cage on the front had broken on the bottom. In order to keep my water bottle from slipping out I had to put another water bottle in the back cage. So I had water! It wasn't easy to grab, but I had water.
The first part of the course I don't remember much other than methodically passing people one by one. I was not sure if they would pass me back or what would happen. Towards the top I passed the final gal I would pass in my division for this race. I also passed Aaron (clysedale from Racers). He was funny giving me kudos on the uphill pass. I let him know he would see me on the down.
I took off down the hill, and just as I got to the bottom before the drop into the wash Aaron passed me, and so did the girl I had she passed at the top. My thoughts were "darn'it, she has some downhill skills." For some reason the second wash was not going to be my friend this race. I struggled getting up the first step, and then instead of going up the second like I had practiced and succeed I decided to go a different route. Lesson #2-if you can help it don't change what you have already done. I had never practiced going up the other way, and of course I ended up getting stuck. This caused me to get off my bike, and lose some time. It also allowed the girl who passed me to get further ahead.
As I pulled out of the second wash I started getting passed by the pros. I have been passed by the pros before, so this was not unusual. Usually they know how to pass, and are pretty good about it. What I didn't realize at the time the passing started there would be a lot more passing, and I mean a lot! It was comforting to later learn their were 30+ pros registered for this event. Although I did get passed by more than pro riders.
On the second climb I could still see the girl that had passed me on the descent, and I hoped I could close some of the distance between us. I plugged away on the hill, but did not pass her, and I am not sure how much closer I got to her.
The down was fun, but prior to the triple down I heard voices behind me. I could not tell what they were saying, and was not sure if they wanted to pass. No one said left, and no one said right. At one point I thought I might have heard someone say pull over, but I sure hope not, because really they wouldn't forget I am racing too. I'll make room for you to go by, but please don't ask me to pull over. Anyway, I finally moved to the side and signaled for them to pass by. Can you believe not one of them let me know they were going by! The third rider actually ended up hitting me and my bike, luckily I stayed on my bike (and so did he), and we continued down. I passed him later and he apologized. That was cool, because I have had riders come close to taking me out and never saying a word.
Going down I passed a lot of friends and team mates. It was great hearing them cheer for me, because by this time I was tired, and wondering what exactly was going to happen on the second lap. My husband was an awesome support and passed my water bottle to me with no problem. I drank my gel, which had 1/2 a salt tablet in it to help keep electrolytes balanced. I then rode along the flat, to the small up. About this time I decided I was having fun, and announced "this is a lot of fun." The people in the crowd laughed and commented on my good attitude.
From here I picked up the pace a bit, saw some people at the top and gave them a hello and continued on my way, gradually picking up the pace. By the time I hit the small whoop dee doos, I was having a great time. Something came to my mind that Carson had told me "when the race it too much it becomes a ride", at this point it was a ride, but also a race. I was having fun and still riding at an okay speed, or so I thought.
On my way to the first wash I was passed by Carson. I am not sure what he said, but it definitely encouraged me to keep going. From there throughout the course I would be passed by teammates, and all of them gave words of encouragement. There were also other riders I knew and they also offered words of encouragement. This really helped me keep going.
One of the more funnier moments of the race was in the first wash my second lap. There were 2 riders behind me, and we were coming up to the big puddle. I told them I was going right. The comment behind me was "I don't want to go through that", my reply "I am going right". Jokingly as they passed by I let them know when they are in front they can choose which side for passing.
As I came out of the first wash I saw the girl that had passed me on the first descent, and I could tell she was beginning to fade. I wonder if this is what people see when they are passing me???? Anyway, I kept up a good pace on the hill climb and little by little started to close the gap. My goal was to pass her before the first descent, and this time stay in the lead. As the gap closed I took my moment and passed her. This time well before the top--I wanted to put some space between us before the descent.
From here I pushed on the pedals harder and faster than I probably would have had there not been someone right behind me. Lesson #3 - I need to work hard whether someone is on my tail or not. It was a good thing I put some distance between us, because once again I really struggled in the second wash. Was it me, or was it a lot warmer in the wash than anywhere else? I had two slip ups in the second wash, one where I got major stuck. I think by that time I was so tired I should have once again gotten of my bike and then back on, it would have been a lot quicker. Because of these slip ups the gal I had passed ended up being right behind my wheel. Once again I had to push it, to put some distance between us. I pedaled at an even pace, but worked hard to put her behind me. Coming off the single track I turned to see how close she was and couldn't see her, but this did not make me feel any better. The look was quick, and I couldn't be for sure where she was.
I pushed it through the single track to the final descent and then let it go. By this time my lips were chapped, telling me I needed water, but going down there is no place to drink. I just hoped it was false dehydration and they were chapped due to the salt and I would make it down.
Going down felt good. I was tired and a little worried about handling my bike, but the more I went down the better I felt. At the final little up I pushed as hard as my legs would let me and pedaled for the finish. I never did see the gal I passed again. I am not sure if she finished or if she had a mechanical, but I feel pretty good about how I did.
The funny thing about the race my 2nd lap was about 4 minutes slower than my first, and yet I thought I felt better my second lap. Going around the second time I felt much more comfortable with the course. I ended up taking 7th place which is points for the team, but no podium.
My finish, smiling and tired.
I learned a lot my first sport race. In a lot of ways it was like starting to race all over again. I have to get used to people passing me again. I have to learn how to ride hard and yet not blow up so I can't finish the race. I need to learn how to fuel and hydrate so I can stay strong throughout the race. I also need to drop weight and get my fitness up. I had to learn all of these things my first year racing. Funny how things come full circle around. This is going to be a good year as I learn all of these things and work towards improving throughout the year.







3 comments:
Way to go girl! Not bad for the first sport race...
Karl
Nice Job! I was bummed I couldn't stick around and hang out with everyone and see your finish! Luckily we have lots more races! :)
Great job, Kendra! It is always good if you're smiling at the finish line! (The girls look cute!)
Gayle
Post a Comment