Last year by the end of the season I was pretty much fed up with all of the different passing scenarios that had occurred. I have been in the thick of it where I have been passed and I do the passing, and nothing is more frustrating to a rider than a pass gone bad. After putting some thought in to it I decided to share my perspective on how to pass, prior to the ICup race season beginning. Some of you may read this entire blog, some may not, so I am going to give my conclusion at the very first.
When asked to pass let the person pass, if you are faster then you will get the opportunity to pass them back. It doesn't matter what division they are in, expect at the very end of the race, then if needs be sprint it out to the end. Do you really want to be on the podium knowing you hogged the trail and prevented 3 other people from passing you--were you really faster?
PASSING
1. Let the rider know you are coming. One of the best ways is holler “rider back” This gives the rider in front an opportunity to determine a good place to let you pass.
Last year during the Draper race, a rider behind me called “rider back” I looked ahead and found the perfect place to pull over – made my move, and he sailed right by. I was able to keep accelerate as soon as he went by. Both of us ended up in a good situation. Same thing happened at The Canyons race. Both parties are happy and very little if any time is lost.
2. Clearly state your intention to pass i.e. “on your left”, “on your right” “pass please”,. This lets the rider ahead know what you want to do.
Two years ago at Deer Valley race I had a rider approach behind me and due to my ear warmers that were on (it was about 25 degrees that race), all I heard was a mumbled “meer”. Not knowing what he said my reply was “what???”. He repeated himself with a little more clarity “pro”. My thoughts, “oh I think he wants to pass.” I let him by. As he went by I called out “I am racing too.” I get you are a pro and another fast guy is probably going to be coming up soon, but telling me what division you are in does not help.
A similar incident happened again last year at the Draper race. On my last lap heading up the little hill to the parking lot, where the lap and finish split is, a rider came behind me and said “expert”. At this point in the race I really could have cared less—I was sick, tired and just wanted to finish. My reply to his declaration of his division, “how’s that working for you?” Funny thing he never replied.
3. When passing wait until the rider ahead gives you the go ahead. This is for the safety of you and for the rider you are passing.
Last year at the Sundance race while I was riding Archie’s I had a rider pull up and tell me he wanted to pass. I looked ahead and told him just a moment, right up here. He yelled “no, now!” and then shoved right by me. I ended in into the side of the mountain and luckily he did not end off the edge of Archie’s. Not 2 seconds later another rider came up, he waited and we both had a safe pass. Really is it worth it?!?
GETTING PASSED
1. If someone behind you asks to pass let them pass! This is by far most the most important rule. If they are asking they are faster than you, LET THEM BY! Who cares if they are in the same division as you, who cares if it is a chick and you ego feels a little bruised, if you are faster then you will pass them back. Do you really want to win a race by hogging the trail and preventing the other three people behind you from passing!
Last year at The Canyons race I was doing pretty good, but eventually on the uphill I got passed. We hit some downhill and I passed people back. Then uphill again and I was passed. Final descent I passed a lot of people, one was in my division (who by the way I had let pass me on the up). She let me pass and I was able to fly downhill. Had she not let me pass it would have been dangerous for both of us, because I was riding right on her tail. She actually ended up beating me across the finish line, but we passed each other back and forth the entire race—now that is a race!
2. When riding narrow singletrack on a mountain side pull over toward the mountainside (hill/steep) and let the rider go around you. If you go inside they have to deal with bushes and trees and may not get around.
These are a few of my thoughts or suggestions on passing. Anyone care to add to the list???
5 comments:
i just say "can oilcan pass please".
after the person is done laughing i get to pass.
works every time.
Excellent KC. Perhaps you should send this to Ed to put in one of his emails. My technique when I want to pass is to say "Any wide spot you see..." then if they pass a wide spot I say "there went one". It gets the point across and has never failed me. It is also important to remember that it's the passing riders obligation to stay out of the way of the rider being passed. Things may get close but you should never take the rider off their bike. Bill
Great comments. I also think everyone also needs to offer a little patience when things don't go quite right.
I try to be polite and yet I've had a few accidental unfortunate passing incidents over the years - usually passing beginners because they are generally less predictable/stable and feel less comfortable moving over to the very edge. They are also going much slower which makes it more frustrating when they refuse to move over.
BTW, how do you know what it is like to be passed?
Don't forget to say, "thank you" after passing the rider. I always feel more appreciative when a rider says that to me after he/she passes me.
Nice post.
Post a Comment