I was actually nervous before the race started. I am not sure why, because I did not have any expectations. I knew I was still not up to being as fit as my competition, and I would be lucky if I could hang with them, but for some reason I was nervous. Sally thought it was because we had to wait around for the start and I tend to agree.
 |
| KC & Chris's dog Texas making himself home on my chairs so he could watch the race. |
Weather conditions were great for the race, except for one minor issue--the heat. Had the race started earlier the heat was manageable, but since it was later...well, it was not so manageable for me. When we started the race it was approximately 82 degrees. Now this is not so bad except apparently some parts of the course were 94 degrees as I was soon to find out.
 |
| It was hot enough for the lizards to sun. |
I started out the race in true fashion fast and at the front. Now this is not unusual for me, because I seem to have a fast start, but it doesn't get much faster from there and about 15 seconds from the start people start to pass me. However, this time that did not happen. I was a little stunned. There was some jostling for place going over the slick rock, and I was doing great. I continued to be near the front until we started to climb. At this point others began to pass me. I was okay with this, because we stayed close together and I felt great. I was pushing it just perfect.
 |
| Over the slick rock. |
A little more than half way through the first lap. I hear a cute, little voice behind me, saying she is just pacing off me....it that's okay. Of course it is okay, I didn't mind, it's always nice to have a little company. I could see the whole pack as we rode, and was ready to put a few riders behind me. However, the trail conditions made it difficult for me to pass and then all of the sudden it happened. We were in this canyon, gulf, gully, I don't know what you want to call it, but all of the sudden I got very, very hot. I was heating up from the inside out. I backed off making any move for a moment and just hung with the group hoping my internal heater would cool down. No such luck. I continued to get hotter and hotter and as I got hotter I got slower. Realizing the group was starting to pull away from me and I was not cooling down. I let my pacer know that she would need to make her move, and she did. In fact she made such a great move she took
1st place!!! Something she needs to be posting from the mountain tops--or at least on facebook.
As for me. Well I never cooled down, but I never quit. I pushed as hard as I could, but my body rebelled and I heated up each time I tried to push it. I finished, but I honestly do not know what place I took. I know it was 3rd to last, but that's all I know. I was so toasted when I crossed the finished line, all I was concerned about was cooling down. The cool part of the race Although I got very hot and my body couldn't handle the heat, my body could handle the race. It felt strong, which has me looking forward to more races to come.
JEM Trail
After every good race is a well deserved ride. A group of us decided we need a good cool down ride and headed over to ride JEM. The ride was beautiful and perfect. We had a nice little breeze that kept us cool, with perfect cloud coverage. The down was awesomeness and by the end there was nothing but smiles and huge grins. What a perfect way to end the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment