Sunday, March 8, 2009

St. George I-Cup 1

The first race of the season actually started 3 days before the race. For some reason I started to get jittery and nervous about the upcoming race. I was surprised as I knew I hadn't been riding like I needed to and well my eating has not been the best. So I had decided this was going to be a wash. however, my competitive nature took over and the nerves began.

We left mid-day Friday so Mandy could pre-ride her course and hang out in the warmer climate. Mandy has move up to the 10-12 division this year and everything is different. The course is more difficult and longer, and the kids are older (there are 4th graders racing 7th graders). We are calling this a practice year, and I think she is okay with that. I am happy she still wants to ride especially, now she does some of the same course we do. I would think it could be a little intimidating. However, Mandy does not take completely after her mom with riding she loves the down hills and does not like the up hills. Hopefully I can get her to like the up hills, and then she will cruise!

After Mandy's pre-ride Friday we took off to stay with family. Just as we were getting to their house I realized I had forgotten my inhaler. This worried me. But my fabulous husband had a brilliant idea. He called Target and found out I could go to the Target in St. George and get it refilled. We took off and less than an hour later I had a new inhaler. I am soooo glad I have such a smart husband.

Saturday morning the nerves were at their highest. I could not figure it out. Why was I so nervous. I got to the race, got my bike ready, said hi to a couple of people and then saw Jen. She gave me the best advice which was to get on my bike and ride, and ride I did. It was exactly what I needed to calm the nerves. I rode around for a bit for a warm-up, and then went to the start line.

There was a lot of women at the start line. Some I knew and some I did not. it was great to catch up and see how everyone was doing. Eventually we got up to the start line and now the race began.

I got off to a good start. I pulled to the front and was there for a short time when a gal on a pink bike came by and went in front. I was okay with this as were were staying fairly close. We rode together into the wash. Hindsight I probably should have passed right here, but I didn't. We rode through the wash and then little by little she pulled away. Like me she was a hill climber, but a little bit better. I could always see her, but never did catch her. The race was great, and I rode hard. I feel like I rode as hard as I could, which is good, because when the race ended I know I gave it my all. And for my all I got 2nd place. Not a bad way to start the season.
Bold
Mandy at the start line.
Mandy taking off .



Mandy riding hard with a determined look.


Coming across the finish line.


On the podium. Third place did not show up???


At the start line.


Cruisin' down the final stretch.


Heading to the finish line.


Jen & me at the finish waiting for the other riders.


Podium- first place was sooo fast she cruised past the podium!?!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey 2nd place is a good start for the season.

cheering on the the kids was my favorite part of the that race. well...and riding up the stairs on the wash.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! you have come a long way in a relatively short time.
Way to go!
R.C.

Tiff said...

DUDE! that first picture is freakin' awesome!!!!
Second place...not bad!