Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nose Rinse - This is kind of gross


Since having surgery on my nose I have a new task I must do a minimum of 4 times a day--I must rinse my nose.  For some this is not unusual, and they do it all the time.  I have been aware of the practice, but did not have a need.  Now with the surgery I must rinse a minimum of 4 times a day.  There is a video of how to rinse, however my rinsing does not go as well.

In the video it tells you not to hold your breath, however if I don't hold my breath the liquid would go down my throat, and not out my nose.  Which would then end up being projected out my mouth.  The reason is because my nose is so clotted up the water does not flow freely at first.  When I first start there is no water, just a lot of pressure as the water trys to pass through the nasal passage.  Sometimes it starts to flow, sometimes it does not.  Once it does flow, it usually is accompanied by a lot of gross blood clots.  The worst part of the rinse is afterwards.  The goal is to get all of the liquid out. However because I am still trying to get everything out the liquid does not always come out right away.  What seems to happen is it comes out at the most inopportune time possible--the time when someone comes to visit you and you are talking to them.  Luckily for me I usually feel it coming before it actually makes its way out.  I will be glad when all of the clots and stuff comes completely out, so maybe I can avoid some embarassing situations.  In the mean time I try to remember to carry something with me for the quick turn of the head so no one can see liquid dripping from my nose.

I got my splint off my nose yesterday.  The black eyes are getting less and less, and my nose is still swollen, but has gone down quite significantly.  On a side note I am feeling much better and have been on the trainer!  I never thought I would be so happy to ride the trainer.   Next step hopefully Saturday will be a ride around the block, I have my fingers crossed.

No comments: