Friday, August 7, 2009

Ride Like a Girl - Ride

Went with Jolene yesterday for the monthly Ride Like a Girl Ride. We got to Mad Dog in Orem, and the only person there was KC. We visited for a bit while waiting to see if others would show up, but it turned out to be on me and Jolene this ride. After a little bit of discussion it was decided we would ride the BST over by bridal veil.

We started at the 800 North trailhead and rode up to the start of the trail. KC rode her single speed for this ride. It amazes me at what a lot of work the single speed takes, it also amazes me how KC can ride behind me on a trail and still keep going consistently even though I am not.

The first part of the trail I have been on, but it has been quite some time since I have ridden it. The second part of the trail I have not been on. KC led the way the new trail. It is a fun, quick simple trail until near the end where there are 3 tight switchbacks. Just prior to the swtichbacks KC stopped and described what we could expect from each switchback--I like it when people tell me about what to expect it makes the ride a little bit easier. The first switchback was a very steep left handed sharp turn. When I got to it, I stopped and thought no way. Luckily KC showed me and Jolene the right line, for the next time I go back. The next switchback was a right turn and I made it around with only a foot down! The final one was similar to the first but somewhat bermed. Unfortunately the bermed part did not take away my fear of spilling down the switchback, so I ended up getting off and walking...oh well, hopefully next time.
We ended the ride going to equestrian center and back to the trail head. Perfect night for a ride with the girls.

No comments: