I am obsessed. I am obsessed with a bike and it's my husbands fault. About 3 weeks ago my husband and I decided to go see a movie. Since the movie theater is near the bike shop I decided to ride my road bike to the bike shop to get some work done on it and I would meet him there. Well, on the way there were 3 detours so a ride that should have been about 20-25 minutes took 40 minutes. While my husband waited he started to ask the owner about what would be the best bike for me to race. Since we know the owner pretty well, and she knows us, she knew exactly what to show him. Can you guess what bike she showed him? If you guessed the Gary Fisher Superfly you are right. Cool bike, but one problem there is no demo model to try out on the trails. So I wrote off giving this bike a try. Until a couple of weeks ago when I got an offer to ride this bike. How could I pass up such an offer. I couldn't, so today I rode this bike.
My plan was to take this bike to Lambert Park and ride a few select trails that would show how the bike handles. This plan worked for a bit. I started out on Lamberts Luge. I figured this is a good rock garden and would show how a 29er hardtail works on the rocks. It was hard. I was bouncing everywhere and felt like I was struggling to keep the bike on the trail. But of course this is a hardtail what do you expect. At the end of Lamberts Luge I headed up High Bench. The bike handled the turns nicely. There is little rock step up that you go over that I didn't make. However this is probably due to the hiker standing right by them and me being nervous riding right by her. After High Bench I took off down River. What a delight. I had heard that 29ers are a little sluggish on the power ups. Well I am here to tell you this 29er is far from sluggish on powers ups. In fact in spots that my fs usually stalls out the Superfly cruised right over and kept up the speed. Another misnomer I had heard was 29ers do not climb too well. Wrong it climbed great. It wasn't slow and I could keep my climbing speed up without any problems. After River I rode up Poppy, down Ziggy, up High Bench clearing the rocks I struggled with before, up Spring and then down, down Rodeo down. At this point I was going to end, but I was getting the hang of this bike and I couldn't stop, I had to continue riding. I went down Lamberts Luge again. This time I was able to handle the rock garden fine and was not bouncing around like I had before. I went on to Ziggy and then dropped on to Zag to see how the bike worked on switchbacks and turns. It was a dream and I was able to keep my speed up after some turns that usually I have a problem with powering back up. From Zag I went up Middle, up Rodeo up and then finally one last drop down Rodeo down. How could I not.
My thoughts on the bike. It rides great. Quick on the power ups, climbs like a dream, turns without any problems. Only drawback. It's a hardtail. However, when I figured out how to pedal over the rocks and stand a bit more being on a hardtail wasn't a problem.
So as you can see my husband has created a problem and it's all his fault. The problem is I can't stop thinking about this bike, and if he hadn't said anything I would have never thought about this bike....at least not this year.
4 comments:
I take all of the responsibility...
And none of the blame.
I think you will love the bike.
Sounds like you experienced some of the same things I did when I demo'd a hardtail 29er last spring. I also demo'd in Lambert Park. It climbed like a rocket but wasn't nearly as fast on the downhill. It started quick but I was bouncing out of the seat on the uphills. After riding for 5-6 miles I felt beat-up, like I had been riding for 15 miles. I would look at one for racing but wouldn't use it for other rides. My 2 cents worth.
tallsteve
Definitely takes staying out of the seat more when riding a hardtail 29er or not.
Post a Comment