Monday, April 20, 2009

Oh My Seat (Butt) Bones

Normally I like to tell of the fun I had on the trail. And this weekend I had a great amount of fun. I mountain biked and road biked and had great fun riding with friends. However, there will be other times to tell of my fun. Today I am going to share in my weekend woe, or more to the point my bruised butt bones. Sorry if I offend anyone, but it is what it is

My husband informed me that I do not have butt or seat bones. But I disagree, because the bones I sit on are bruised and sore, therefore they are my seat/butt bones.

This weekend I learned the importance of a good saddle. I did 2 separate rides Saturday. The first was a small mountain bike ride. We rode up Squaw Peak, and then up roller coaster road to Dragons Back, down Dragons Back to the trail and home. I did this ride on my WSD saddle and was comfortable the entire time. Distance only 24 miles, and I felt really good and ready for my next ride--a road ride out to Lincoln Beach.

The ride to Lincoln Beach was a slow to moderate pace and only 36 miles. I have done this distance and more on my mountain bike without any problems or any soreness, but today on the road bike ouch! Let me say that again OUCH!!!

I do not have a WSD saddle on my road bike. The saddle is not a stock saddle, it's one I bought, but now that I have been spoiled by my other saddle is it the most miserable saddle I have been on, and it brings tears to my eyes--the tears are not tears of joy.

During the entire road ride I had to keep shifting around, and it did not matter how much shifting I did I was not going to be comfortable. Eventually I began to feel a burning sensation, I thought I was on fire! After that I became numb. This is not so bad as you can at least finish out your ride, but you really have no idea of how sore you are until you are done. Well, unfortunately I found out just how sore I was before my ride was done. The last couple miles we ended up on a gravel paved road. The vibration of the road took away all numbness. I don't think I could have gotten off the road soon enough.

Since my numbness was now gone I could not wait to finish our ride. Thank goodness we only had another mile or so to go. By the time we got back I more than ready to be done. I had a great time riding, but it is now time to buy a new saddle for my road bike--and to think all winter on the trainer I thought the pain was from the trainer...now I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a BUMMER! I hope you didn't get left BEHIND and really glad some big SUV didn't REAR-END you! BUTT I digress- you should come do a road ride from my house to the top of AF Canyon with me. It's a blast (and a great workout)!

tallsteve