Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Results

I received the results from my holter monitor. The good news is my heart is very healthy. I had a maximum heart rate of 180 during the race--for 40 minutes. My doctor thought this was crazy, but I explained Sundance is up hill--he still thought I was crazy. There were a few other things, but basically my PFO has nothing to do with my low blood pressure, dizziness, fatigue and the need to pass out.

The next step is completely hypothetical, but the doctor wants to try this next. Because I had significant weight loss over the past year (45 pounds) he thinks this may have to do with my veins. He tested my blood pressure laying down, sitting up and then standing up. When I stood up my blood pressure dropped 15 points. This is a symptom of the vein problem. To see if this is the problem he has started me on a medication for 30 days to raise my blood pressure. I have to take my blood pressure daily in the 3 different positions. If the blood pressure levels out, the dizziness subsides, fatigue and passing out then I will see a vascular surgeon and have some veins closed off.

I am a little discouraged because with the PFO we hard a solution. Now we are back to trying to figure out what is the cause. I guess the good news is at least my doctor is trying to figure it out, and right now I need to look at the good news so I won't get too discouraged.

1 comment:

Blackdog said...

180's wow. Anymore I can hit the 170's for short periods of time and have hit 180 for a second or two a couple of times this year but never been able to hold it there. The round valley race I held 165 for about an hour.