Mandy's Race (from the words of Mandy)
Hi!!!!!! So I don't think that I did to well my race but I did rocked the down hill. On my race I came in last place, hey that rhymed was it timed? hahaha (-: ! SMILE! Even though I came in last it's ok because I had fun on the down hill which means I had fun and that's what it's all about having fun. In the beginning I was ahead of Dakota my friend but then I had to walk my bike and she passed me. Later on she stopped but I had to stop to get a drink of water and then I took off and then Dakota went off to and I lost sight off her. So much for that. I also got lapped in a weird way. Tons of grown ups kept on saying good job and I kept on thinking no I'm not. The good thing is I finished and that's the good part.
(mom's words)
Mandy did a good job at her race despite coming in last. Her down fall is the up hill, Mandy does not shift down when going on her bike. On her second lap I rode with her, and she refused to shift past her middle gears on her back cassette, so she ended up pushing her bike all the way up the paved hill. If only she would shift! When we got to the top she did great on the downhill. She had not pre-ridden it at all, and she made every switchback without so much as a foot down. There was a lot of encouragement from other racers which I thought was great, and I was proud she did not quite, because she could have stopped and not done another lap, knowing she was dead last. 

Two good things happened from this race. KC Holley talked to Mandy about shifting and I think Mandy actually listened, and today she wanted to register for a lot of different sporting activities for the summer so she quits sitting on the couch--so we did! She wants to be fast again and knows she has to do more than sit on the couch.
My Race
It was the perfect day for the race--good weather, great trail conditions, and lots of fun competition. This race Ed started the beginning women and 35+ together. As we were lining up, my shorts got caught on my seat as I was trying to get prepped on my bike. I announced this out loud, which brought some laughter and Ed letting me know I had 30 seconds to get my shorts uncaught. I got set up and then we were off. As we took off both Jen & Gigi's shorts got caught on their seats!
First of the race taking off-nothing but smiles!
At the first of the race of few of the gals took off full steam ahead on the hill--a little too fast. I could tell they were not going to last on the hill, and they didn't. Heading into the dirt road I picked up the pace as Jen was in front and I wanted to be at least second position on the singletrack. This did not happen, just as I was going onto the singletrack a beginning woman rider (Tiffany)slid past me, and tore off down the track. Since she was ripping it down I was not too worried as I knew she would not hold me up. This did not happen for long and it wasn't long before I ended up needing to pass Tiffany. At the right moment I slid past her and continued pounding on the pedals hoping Jen was not too far ahead.
On Archie's Loop I saw Jen ahead and was happy to know she was not too far ahead. I kept going not knowing how close anyone else was behind me. As I hit the trees and started to hit the switchbacks once again I saw Jen. This is good, she is still in my sights. The one thing about this course is you can lose sight of your competition, they could be 10 seconds ahead of you and you never know it because you can't see them. I decided Jen was only 10 seconds ahead of me and kept going hard.
On the uphill and on my way to the double track I came upon a female sport rider,and let her know I was not in her division. Her response was "okay". I let her know again, and let her know when there was a chance to let me pass. She said pass and I went to pass. She did not move over on the trail in the slightest, even though there was room, so I ended up trying to ride around her. As I rode around her bike hit my handle bars and I ended up down on the ground. I quickly got up and went on. The crash let 3 riders (not my division) pass me, 30 seconds later I ended up passing 2 of them back. What a waste of time.
It was not long after my mishap that I reached the double track. It was here I really began to push it and tore up the hill knowing Jen would pick up her pace here. I never did see her, which made me wonder how far she had gotten ahead of me. Continuing up to the top it was only me and another Mad Dog rider that I saw in the trees. We were both going hard trying to keep our competition at bay.
There was such a great feeling reaching the top and knowing it was downhill from here. The only drawback was I was shaking so hard by this time that I was not steady on my bike. I actually had to go a little slower on the top switchbacks than I would like so I could avoid the possibilty of crashing. Towards the end I felt much better and was able to pick up my speed around the turns. It was near the end a female rider came up on and asked to pass. I asked what division and there was no response. She asked again and again I asked what division. This time she let me know she was beginning. I gave her a spot to go by on my right--it was a spot near the end where the trail has a short split left and right into a turn. Unfortunately she did not go fast enough and as I went in to the turn she started to go in and our tires crashed together as both of us slammed on the brakes. Without losing a beat I kept riding and told her we were near the bottom and she would be fine as no one in her division was close. Not 20 seconds later Chris Holley came up on me I gave him a spot to pass and low and behold the female rider took that same spot. Smart girl, it turned out it was Tiffany. I stayed on her tire as we went down and we came onto the pavement one, two. It was at this point I hit a good pace and passed Tiffany and others heading up the hill. I love hill climbing!
I kept a good pace uphill and turned to make sure no one in my division was sneaking up behind me. I didn't see anyone so I kept the pace. Right towards the finish line Tiffany sprinted by me. At first I didn't care because she was not in my division, but then my pride got the best of me and I sprinted, but it was a sprint too late. I came in right by her, but my tire crossed after her. There is nothing like pride to drive a person across the line. Later I joked with her and told her there is no sprinting at the finish line unless someone is in your division. Please...I was already tired enough without having to sprint.
As far as the holter monitor, I ended up pushing the button near the first of the uphill, throughout the entire race, and after the race. I had great symptoms, and I am hoping the read will prove hopeful.
Oh I ended up 2nd, beating my time from last year by 3:48, and Jen came in first beating me by 3 minutes. That girl totally rocks, but I am starting to ride my bike again, so Jen...watch out!
2009 Team Mad Dog--Mandy is missing in action doing her race.
2009 Team Mad Dog--Mandy is missing in action doing her race.

No comments:
Post a Comment