Saturday, May 16, 2009

I Am Back

Well not quite, but I know I can ride hard again. Today's race was the test of where I am health wise and how hard I can ride at the next race.

At the start line there were some of the regulars and a few new faces. While we were waiting I leaned over to Jen and told her she better take first place. I really didn't think I was going to be competitive this race and I wanted Jen to make sure Mad Dog was represented well. By the way I was pretty sure she would take first as she has been smokin' at the races and still doesn't seem like she is putting any effort into it.

Off the start line I did not go out as strong or as hard as I usually do. Instead I went out reserved. I wanted to make sure I could get through this race. Going up the first quick climb Jen and 2 other riders that I did not know rode to the front. I followed them up to the first of the single track and followed up and down the first small portion. I ended up pacing off them and resting as they were not going too fast and I knew there was a spot coming up for me to pass--in fact it was at the same spot Dot passed me in our pre-ride. As soon as I could pass I took off and headed to the short little portion of downs. I was looking forward to the jump however as I started toward it I ended up going off the trail, luckily I stayed loose and was able to get back on without losing my positioning.

From here it was time to climb. I love climbing. By this time I was going at a good pace--I was breathing hard, but I could also carry on a conversation. Just about where I wanted to be. I began to pass people one at a time, but I knew there was no way I would pass Jen. As I headed up I ended up behind 3 riders going into the single track with the steep climb. I made sure everyone knew to be ready for the steep climb. The young rider in front of me went even further and let them know he was going all the way up and if they couldn't do it he would appreciate if they move over. I let him know I would be right behind him, so don't mess up. One of the riders pulled aside while the rest of us went up. The young rider in front of me did not make it, and I ended up having to go around him. I got a little further but by going around I lost the traction I needed and skidded out at the top. I got off my bike took a couple of steps up and got back on just in time to see the first rider (a teammate) endo huge. I went by and saw he had flown right into a stutter bump--tough luck.

The next section of the ride is nice it is great recovery as you prepare for the next long section of climbing. I had a blast going down. As I headed whipped up the hill to the next portion of climbing I took time to down a gel, this was a huge mistake. The gel seemed to stick in my throat and I could not breathe as well. I had to drink from my water bottle several times to try and get rid of the coating it left in my throat. It was somewhere around here I saw Jen and we let out a hey how are you. She looked great and was going strong.

I continued on entering into the uphill switchback section. I was surprised at how many riders were struggling on this section. There were a lot of guys going down and dabbing to not skid out as they went up the switchback. Luckily there mishapes did nto affect me. As I entered into the next uphill somewhat technical section three riders got off their bikes and stopped. I actually had to holler out to let them know I was going up. I was surprised they did not expect me to go up--come on guys just because I'm a chick does not mean I am going to quit. I passed through all the guys, went up, and made it to the top without any incidences.

Now the downhill section. This time unlike my pre-ride I took it at a steady pace, and very controllable. I did not want to lose my positioning by crashing. Oh and did I mention there was a UMB rider behind me. I didn't know if she was in my division or not, but I was not going to lose my positioning. Once I got through the single track downhill I took off at full speed lightening. I actually hooped and hollered. At this point I rode hard and finished off hard.

I ended the race feeling really good about how I did--2nd place! I did not expect this, but I am glad. I feel great tonight and did not need to rest or end up crashing at home after the race. I am totally excited for the next race and know that I will be able to go full out for the next race. I can't wait--it feels great to know my health is almost 100%. I can't wait to go riding all this week!

Ooops one final thing. I rode without my camelback this time and only water bottles. It was great, I stayed cooler and was able to ride much better. Unless it's way long or impossible I am going to race with water bottles from now on.

At the start line!

Heading towards the finish line.


2 comments:

JoshuaMcC said...

Congratulations, so much for being sick I guess.

Anonymous said...

Ditto! Gald your better!