Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm Hooked Up

I got my holter monitor today for a 24 hour read of my heart. There is a lot more involved with a holter monitor than I thought. I thought they would put it on me and then I would bring it back 24 hours later. Not the case.

First of all you have to write down almost everything you do and when you do it, and I mean everything! If I go to the bathroom I have to write it down. Eat write it down. Have a strong emotion write it down. When I sleep and when I wake, write it down. Anyway, you get the picture.

There also is the magic button. Should I feel dizzy, lightheaded, pass out, heart palpitations or short of breath I should push the button. I am not quite sure how to press the button if I pass out, but I will make sure to write it down.

Tomorrow is a race. I am climbing up to the top of the chair lift at Sundance. I am pretty sure I will feel short of breath as I climb to the top, and when this happens I need to press the button. I suspect during the race I will be pressing it a lot. So as you ride by and see me grab my side don't worry. I am just trying to ride fast and find the button to push.

I will keep the monitor on for a few hours after the race. Then take it back to be input and read. I think the results will be interesting, and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

2 comments:

ER Dad said...

Did they tell you about the secret button that can give you a little shock when you want to go faster?

So how much extra weight will you be racing with?

Blackdog said...

Let us know how everything went. Hope the race went well. My son is still in AZ and my Daughter has no patience for races so I skipped another one. I will try to say hi at DV.