The morning of the race I felt good. There was a small showing in our division, perhaps because of Mother's Day weekend. I am not quite sure why, but the weather was perfect for a race. We waited and bantered a little bit at the start, and then it was our time to go up. I started off the line great, and then got into a pace. I knew Jen would be up soon, and sure enough she was. We talked for a movement as we rode. Jen made a comment she was on the wrong side, and right at that moment I got smacked in the face by a branch! I let her know she was not on the wrong side. About 1/2 a mile into the race I all of the sudden quit breathing. Jen heard me gasp and asked if I was okay, I let her know asthma and we continued on. From that point on I kept having problems breathing, and when I could breathe it burned my throat. I am guessing this is what happens when you do not ride for almost 2 weeks.
It didn't take long for Jen to pull a little bit ahead of me, but little by little she pulled away. I just couldn't get my legs to go. My side ached during most of the race--it wasn't bad, but it was annoying.My legs and body just did not seem to want to work. By the last hill of the race I actually geared down to my granny gear. I was tired and felt completely out of shape. I thought I was up to par, but by the time the race was over I realized I was not. I don't know if it was because I have been sick, or if it was because I have been off my bike for close to 2 weeks. Perhaps it is a combination of both. It was good to be out, and I love racing, and the trail was fun. So despite the semi-poor riding I had a good time. It's always great to be on the bike.
At the start chatting it up.









1 comment:
KC - I hope you get feeling better soon! Even though you were a bit under the weather, you did awesome!
-SalGal
Post a Comment