Heather is getting going to race in the Single Speed worlds. I had no idea, but that is why she rides her single speed everywhere. Makes sense. I always thought she was super human, which she is, but now I know the rest of the story. Side note Heather is auctioning off a bike to raise money for cancer please go and by a ticket...they are only $5. The bike is cool!
Jolene & Kris at the top of Ghost getting ready to go down.
View from the top of Ghost. Beautiful view.
The second pre-ride was today. It was a blast. I went with Dave and Jen up to Draper where we met Dot, then all 4 of us took off up the trail. Dot led the way and I trailed at the back, and then I trailed, and then I trailed. I don't know how long they had to wait at the top of Clark's, but when I got to the top we took off...there would be no resting--my decision, I hate making people wait.I knew we were planning on doing 2 laps, so this time around on the downhill I took it slow. I wanted to get a good look at the terrain, practice the turns, and put it to my memory. I am not the best technical rider, so I need to practice to even take switchbacks and turns at a relatively normal speed. On the way down I skipped the wall Karl wrote about. I knew I would see it again, and planned on riding it the second time around.
We finished the down and then dropped to where the climb for Clark's connects. At this point we went back up Clark's. This time I dropped way behind the rest of the group. I knew if I pushed it I would be toast for a few days, and I would rather be in good health having fun than exhausted all day. So Dot, Dave & Jen left me in the dust. This was okay, because I made a lot of new friends on the way.
The first group I came to was was at the bridge on Clarks--Doug, Mark and a gal. I did not get her name as I was a little rude and talked about myself instead asking them about them. It was silly how it came about--my rudeness that is. Doug said he read my blog--I am flattered, I love it when people read my blog. Anyway, I had to tell him about my health diagnosis, not that he really cared, but I am so excited about it that I share with anyone I can. I will blog about it tomorrow. Anyway I was so excited I forgot my manners and did not ask them their names. Sorry for being so rude guys. I got Doug's later, just because I ran into.
After a brief moment I left the group and rode up the trail. It was not long before I came up to a rider on the trail.--Eric He was going a pace I liked, so I stayed behind him and we chatted on the way up. It turns out he heard me talking earlier to the group and he has the same health condition but he is a-symptomatic so he does not need surgery. I think I did most of the talking, which may have been why he pulled over. We were almost to the top, and I am sure he probably needed a break from the chatting. At the top I saw his friends and let them know he was on his way. I also saw a young boy waiting at the top for the other group. I let him know they also were coming. I did not see my friends, they had left! Oh well, serves me right for chatting so much.
I took off downhill this time fast. I did much better on the turns and switchbacks. I think I will do okay going fast on them--at least fast for me. At the bottom, where we previously had turned to go back to Clark's, instead this time, I continued down. I did not do so hot on this part. I thought I would be fine, but there were some surprises that I was not ready for. By the time I got to the tunnel I was wishing I could do it one more time.
At the tunnel I ran into Dave and Jen. Jen was nice and said they had not been waiting long, but I know better. We talked for a moment and decided to do the last portion one more time. Thank goodness. We rode up and came down. This time was much better, except for this washed out switchback I decided to fall down. I tried to one foot it, but the skills were not there. I guess at the race I will have to get off there. Better that than falling and losing time.
I really like the course it is a lot of fun to ride, and I had a blast riding it this week. Today was fun meeting people and getting the chance to see everyone ride and prepping for the race. As far as racing and how much fun it will be, I guess we'll see on Monday.
3 comments:
It was nice meeting you. My wife is Susan. I think she was just trying to catch her breath. She has not been on the bike much this year. You were very cordial and not rude in the slightest. Having had several of my own Health issues I completely understood and hope I did not seem disinterested. I was trying to compose myself before the suffering that is Clark's.
Your wife should come ride with us on the first Thursday of the month--which is ride like a girl night. We meet at Mad Dogs at 6pm and then we go to a trail. KC Holley takes the time to take us out and help teach those who are beginners. It is a lot of fun because it is only gals and there is no pressure. It was fun seeing you hope to see you again.
Thanks. I will let her know. She and I have ridden bikes for years but kids slowed that down for quite a while. We are both just getting back into riding. It would be really nice for her to ride with some other women. Riding with my son means she sees him at the bottom of the trail and then again at the car. So riding with people of similar abilities or on a no drop ride would be nice.
Post a Comment