Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Final Taming of the Tetons

I kept debating back and forth whether or not to go to Jackson.  I couldn't spend any time if I went, the cost of going by myself, going really far to race a race, I know I don't have a chance to place well.  Here comes Jessika and Wendy to the rescue--they were willing to car pool and share a room!  With cost significatly cut and people to ride with the not placing didn't matter.  I guess this means I don't just race to win.

We left Friday morning for Jackson.  The ride up was great, it is so much fun to have a girls trip, especially these girls--they know how to have fun.  When we got to Jackson we went up and pre-rode the course.  It was here we discovered this is going to be the last Jackson race.  They are going to turn the trails to downhill trails.  It's too bad, because I love the trails, but it is what it is.

Jessika and I had a lot of fun riding the trail.  The one thing about riding the trails for fun, you see things you never see while racing.  Very beautiful scenery.
Jessika on the pre-ride
Me on the trail.
What a view.
Race day was great.  The temperature was perfect and the little bit of rain we received that morning made most of the course perfect conditions.  I was a little nervous about doing 2 laps for this course.  I knew I could do one, and doing a half was doable, but 2 seemed daunting.  I started off good, but couldn't keep up my division on the hill climb.  After about a mile I lost the gals in my division and was riding with various men in different divisions.  This is good, because it is hard for me to push when no one is around, at least with someone I have enough pride to not back down--at least on the first lap.

The first lap went well, except I rode like a little girl on the down hill.  It was a bit frustrating, but I decided it really didn't matter too much.  We came off the down hill and there in front of me was "the hill".  I took a deep breath and rode until my heart said stop.  Lucky for me it was about 3/4 of the way up the hill.  After the hill there is one mile left of down hill, and then you circle back around for the 2nd lap. 

There was not rush for me to as I went through the 2nd lap, because I was tired!  From here out it was no longer a race, but a ride I needed to complete.  Thank goodness for all the people cheering as I rode.  Lucy's husband was awesome.  I heard him a couple of times cheering which totally helped me pedal my bike and keep going.

My 2nd lap I ended up stopping several times to let people pass, and in general was pretty beat.  By the time I got to the down hill something happened and I was able to ride much better on the down than my first lap.  I rode about the same on "the hill", and was sooo glad when I finished.

I finished my 2nd lap tired and trashed, but happy I finished.  It turns out I took 6th out of 8th, which I feel pretty good about.  I also had a faster 1st lap this year than last, so I am getting stronger.  Now if I can just get the strength down to do 2 laps strong. :-)

Thanks for taking the pic' Jess.