Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Love My Team Mates

I started out very tentative about racing Snowbird.  I guess you could say I have been having a less than positive attitude about racing this last week.  I am a very competitive person, and although I joke about being in the back of the pack and I talk about my improvement sometimes you begin to wonder if it is worth it.  However, with all of that said I do like to race and I do like pushing myself.

So how was I going to convince myself to go to Snowbird.  I did the most logical thing I relied on riding up with a friend.  I called Jolene and she was going to race--great now I had someone to ride up with and a way to make sure I would go race.

The night before the race was not what I would call stellar.  I did not eat well, I played 2 softball games (pulled my butt muscle at my final game), I did not get to sleep until midnight and of course I woke up 30 minutes earlier than planned at 5:30.  "Oh well" I told myself it's not like I was going to do well anyway....still not a very good attitude, glad I was riding with Jolene.

We arrived at the race in good time.  We registered got ready, and rode up to the start line.  I was going to warm up, but by the time I rode up the hill Ed was calling to stage the race.  Not a good way to start a race wtih cold legs.  Once again "oh well".

My first lap I ended up in 3rd, but rode not to the best of my abililty.  I was bobbling around on the single track and on the downhill I kept braking making the down less than fluid.  Coming around for my 2nd lap Keith, Chris and KC were on the sidelines watching people go by.  I rode by and I hear Keith telling me to push it pedal faster and catch the guys in  front of me.  I start to push it pedaled a little bit better and with more determination.  I was able to pass 3 guys.

I kept riding, but we hit a small section of down and I still was not riding well--very frustrating.  There is a great section of up hill switch backs going up to the top.  As I rode these I became fatigued and my heart was definitely feeling worked.  I rode, but backed off my pedals.  Near the top who should I hear behind me, Keith encouraging me to push and pedal.  I did and made it to the down hill road.  I started out tenative again, but then Chris blew by me on his bike and I picked up my speed.  For some reason my confidence was growing.  KC and Keith came by with more words of encouragement and my confidence continued to increase.

I rode down the road okay, not great, but much faster than my 1st lap.  I then entered the single track and saw KC in front of me.  I like riding behind KC, so my goal was to try and catch her.  This time I rode the single track like I know how--no front brake and better rear braking on the turns.  I made it all the way down the single track riding much better, all thanks to seeing a teammate in front of me.

As I rounded the chair lift and went up the final real climb Keith was once again encouraging and pushing me along.  I kept going and went hard on the single track until finally my legs were too tired to go anymore.  I ended the race tired, exhausted and glad I rode better.

I always tell people interested in racing they should join a team.  I explain the benefits and usually get a skeptical look.  Well Snowbird is proof of what team mates can do to support you.  Had it not been for the encouragement as I rode I would have stayed back and kept at a moderate pace, I wouldn't have ridden the down hill well, and I definitely would not have pushed myself to my limits.  But thanks to their encouragement I ended like I should have.  My time wasn't great, and my attitude still needs some adjusting, but I think that comes with any recovery.  In the mean time I took 3rd and I am happy with that.

No comments: