I have been sick this week, but felt good this morning, and was ready to race. I was excited to race this course. I warmed up, chatted with others and lined up. We started the race with the 57+, and the 13-15 sport. Somehow I ended up on the front of the line. This made me slightly uncomfortable, but it turned out okay. Everyone went by me, and I was able to hang with the group at the tail end.
On the climb I was on the back, but passed one girl, and was on the tail of 3 others. Unfortunately the 2nd girl could not ride downhill very well and the front girl started to pull away. The 2nd girl was able to pass on the inside of a switchback, and then we hit the rocks. Now it was just me and this girl with me trying to get around. I tried and tried, but she was all over the trail and I could not pass safely. Luckily for me she finally dropped something from her bike and stopped and I got by.
From here I picked up the pace a bit so I could catch up to the others. It was also here I began to be very sick to my stomach. The nausea stayed and kept getting worse and worse. I tried to throw up at one point, but it settled down. Then about 2.5 miles in I threw up--yes while I was riding. I dry heaved a couple of times, pulled over and threw up a couple of more times into the bushes. From here on out I felt miserable. I was hot, dizzy, nausatious, and kept dry heaving. I was hoping it would go away, but no go.
At the half loop I was tempted to go down, but decided to try and do a full loop to see if I could shake it off. I went another half mile, dry heaved and turned around. I was done. I walked back to the half loop (had to stay off the trail for racers), got on my bike at the half loop and rode down. I was pretty wiped out by the time I reached the bottom. I went to my car, changed and then had to walk up to get my water bottle. Just walking up the hill about killed me. I got my water bottle and sat for quite a while visiting with Jen and Kathy and watching riders go by. You could see the course was wearing on them.
AFter resting a bit I got up and left. I came come and went to bed. I still feel sick to my stomach, and have the cold chills off and on. I sure hope this goes away quickly, because the idea of being off my bike for very long is depressing.
Although this is my first DNF there is good news about the race. The beginners did not catch me on the climb, no one in another division did! Had I not gotten sick I don't think I would have been passed by any beginners or anyone other than Greg. This is a good sign, my heart is getting better and I am beginning to feel better! Let's cross our fingers for the next race.
1 comment:
Sorry you got sick,
your still awesome!
RC.
Post a Comment