That's what my husband said when he saw my race wounds. They're almost identical to last years wounds, but not quite as bad. I felt good before the start of todays race which has been rare this season. I was looking forward to doing well, however my start was not an indicator of starting well. We started out and the group was well ahead of me within less than a minute. Just as I reached the single track I let 2 beginning men in front of me, knowing I would be slow on the hills......oops, my mistake. They were a little slow going down the switchbacks and then we hit the little climb and neither of them could clear the rocks. I ended up off my bike and having to go around them. One of them was faster than me getting on his bike and took off, I ended up passing him on the next section. Lesson learned.
The bobble at the first put me much further behind my group, lucky me when I hit the hill climb I did see Lauren, and that was the way it was the entire climb. I kept in mind the whole time that this is only the first lap and anything could happen. The climb on the full lap is long and in places steep. My heart did not like the top of the climb and I had a few incidents, but luckily I was with Aaron (Racers) and Ryan (UMB) at the top, and they kept me going at a reasonable steady pace, and were there if I needed it.
The downhill for the upper loop was in awesome condition thanks to the rain we got the night before. This made for an excellent downhill riding, and finally I was riding downhill well. I was going fast and smooth and there was no hesitation as I rode. I hit the down on the lower loop, and who should I see but Angelica with a flat. She had her bike ready to go in case she got a tube, unfortunately for her she has 26 inch wheels and I have 29 so I couldn't help her out. I then came around the bend and there was Lauren. She had crashed hard. I slowed down to see if she needed help, and she told me to keep riding. I continued down stunned I had just passed 2 women in my field--anything can happen at a race.
I continued on the next lap tired , but kept a steady pace. When there is no one to chase it is hard to go hard, and even if there was someone to race I can't push any harder than I was going. I rode up to the top of the climb hit the road looked back for some reason and who should I see Angelica (that girl is fast). I gave Ryan a grumbled remark about now I would really have to push it and took off. I know Angelica is faster than me climbing, so my goal was to get into the downhill first and hopefully leave her behind.
I pulled into the down hill first, but Angelica was right no my tire. You could hear our tires skidding the corners as we headed down the hill. I kept the lead for a short time and then she cut in on the inside and pulled in front of me. We stayed tire to tire until we came to a sharp right turn into the trees. I did not see the sign showing the turn. Angelica made the turn, I went straight--curse words! I got back on track and pushed to go catch her. I was sure I could get her. I was riding fast when I hit a rocky section with many large loose rocks. My front wheel hit one of those rocks and skidded out. There was nothing I could do and ended up crashing up the embakment and into trees and bushes. This crash hurt. I got up and rode, but was a little shaken. I did not see Angelica until after the finish.
Although I didn't get to race Angelica all the way down the hill it sure was fun to be able to race someone. Most races I don't see anyone in my group and racing becomes more of a thought than an action. My crash left some good marks on my arm, but at least there is no blood like last year.



1 comment:
WOAH Crazy!!! You are one tough chica
I am missing racing sooo much. Sounds like you had fun despite the carnage! :)
Post a Comment