Friday, July 3, 2009

New Trail Ride

No work today, great weather, and mountain biking most of the day--could you ask for anything more. I went with Dot and Jen this morning to pre-ride the new Snowbird course. This year we do not have to ride up the yucky gravel hill, instead there is a new trail to ride up. I wanted to make sure I got a chance to ride it and today was the perfect day for it.

When we arrived around 8:30 am and the temperature was about 57 degrees--perfect riding weather. The trail was a little wet from the rain the day before, but no too bad. There were some slick roots and rocks along the way, but for the most part it was negotiable. Then we came to the new trail.

The first part of the new trail is still in grass. I don't know if they are going to dig this out or not, but it does ride through a somewhat swampy area. The first lap I walked through the grass to a portion that was cut out, the second lap there was no getting off the bike and getting my feet wet--it helps to know what to expect.

The first little portion of the new trail is very nice. It is close together much like the first, and a little rough of course, because people have not been on it much. I am sure it will not take long for it to get packed down. After a little bit the single track opens up into a wider, faster trail. Yohoo!!! Great passing and lots of fun. Well at least lap 2 was. The first lap it was still very damp and the dirt stuck to my tires and I ended up not having any tread showing the entire way up the hill. By the time I got to the top I felt like I had been carrying 20 pounds extra on my bike.

Going up is very nice the trail is wide, there are many switchbacks going up, and there is plenty of passing room. Although if I had the opportunity I would prefer to go down this trail, it looks like it would be a rip. The good part getting to the top of Snowbird is now fun and relatively easy as long as you are not caring an extra 20 pounds.

At the top of the trail you start back into the old trail with the dreaded gravel road descent. For the most part today it was not so bad, but I think the rain had a lot to do with that. There are still a lot of precarious places and you need to be careful. I am glad I ride the race at the first and not the end this time--I am sure there will be a lot more loose rocks later in the day.

The trail is in great shape and a lot more fun with this new single track. I ended up doing 2 laps and letting Dot do 3 while I took a lot of pictures of the new trail. As you will see it is pretty nice.
Towards the first of the course. This is not the new section.
First part of the new trail when it opens up.
One of the many switchbacks leading up the hill.
View from the trail to the top.
I thought this huge rock where the switchback was cool.
View from the new trail.....isn't it beautiful.
Rock formation leading to the end. Helps with the water drainage.
Trail at the top of the hill.
Another spectacular view...I am sure I will not notice this during the race.
I like how the clouds enveloped the mountain.
Dot riding towards the end of the trail.
Second part of the day was spent riding Lambert Park with my family and Karl and Dot's family. Dot, Jonny and Joey have never been to Lambert and I have been telling them forever how much fun Rodeo Down is. Mandy ending up being in the lead and took us down River and back up High Bench. I was really impressed with how well Joey did, he is only 5 and was able to do most the of trail.
At the top of the 3 way intersection we headed towards Rodeo Up. This time I took the lead. All of the kids did great, but they were tired by the time we got to the top. We rested on the bench and I let them know how much fun the down hill was going to be. I don't think they were totally convinced.
Mandy has been down Rodeo Down, so we let her go first and then I followed. I can't believe how well she did going down the trail. She loves going down--somehow I need to convince her up is not so bad.
At the bottom we waited for the rest of the crew. Jonny and Dot showed up first. Jonny liked it and said it was not bad at all. Then came Joey, Karl and Royce. You should have seen Joey's face he was beaming from ear to ear. He had a blast. In fact it didn't take much to convince him to do it again. So up we went to the top and then back down. Everyone was still smiles at the end. I don't think there could have been a better day than riding with friends and family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is the course marked off? or does it just make sense...i would like to go up and check it out, but not waste my time if i can't find the right trail.

Anonymous said...

Marked completely without any question of what direction to go. Ride up to the top of the dirt road until you see the pink flags heading into the single track. Have fun.