Saturday, May 22, 2010

Soldier Hollow & More

I woke up this morning looking at the rain coming down and wondering if it was really going to be a good day for a race.  I made breakfast, and while it was cooking checked twitter to see if the race was still on--I was secretly hoping it was not, so I could go back to my nice warm bed, the idea of being in the cold, wet rain just did not seem appealing.  Much to my surprise the race was still on, so I ate, got ready and left for the race.

As I drove to the race I had my doubts about the conditions.  It was raining pretty hard, and mixed in with the rain was some snow.  It was this the whole drive up to the stop sign at Soldier Hollow and then it was nothing more than a light sprinkle.  I was completely amazed.
Snow on the course.
I was excited for the race today.  I felt good.  This week has been a good week for riding.  I feel like it is actually my first week on the bike where I have not suffered and had to push harder than I probably was supposed to.  The 2 weeks prior to this seemed more like a hurry and get on your bike so you can ride for the 12 hour race and then the week following was recover and ride.  This week I took it easy and followed the training plan Aaron has set up for me.  Aaron is sponsoring Mad Dog and part of the sponsorship was training some of the riders.  I am one of the lucky few who get training.  I have to say I feel very fortunate, because Aaron is familar working with people with health problmes, and he knows the little extras I need right now.  It also gives me some sort of plan to follow for recovery.

Getting to the start line today, I felt good about how I would be able to ride.  I had pre-ridden the course on Thursday and felt good when I finished the course.  As we lined up there were a total of 5 Mad Dog women on the start line--all my friends and all a great support.  We took off and for a portion of the start I stayed with them.  I ended up in the back on the hill climb, but this time I was on their wheels not way back.  We climbed and I continued to see them.  My goal was to stay with them as long as possible and I did--I was so excited.

As I climbed there was on UMB rider in front of me.  I was staying close, but could just not seem to get enough push to pass her.  I was riding hard, but I didn't want to push too hard and  blow up.  I kept reminding myself this was the first of the race and all I needed to do was keep her in my sight.  We rode and rode, and then all of the sudden we were to the first downhill.  It was here I was able to pass her.  I rode hard trying to put distance between us, but it was not enough.  Eventually she passed me.  I didn't give up, but kept riding and keeping her close in my sights.

This turned out to be a good thing, and eventually we hit a good hill climb, and I was finally able to catch her and pass.  From here I kept riding as hard as I could hoping she would not be able to catch me.  I also, was working really hard hoping I could get a glimpse of the gals in front of me.  It worked both ways.  I was able to keep ahead of the lady I passed, and on the uphill pavement climb I saw someone from my division.

When I finished I felt so good.  I had finished the course without any physical complications, and I had achieved two small goals, one to see the ladies in my division and two finish feeling good about what I had done. 

The end of the race was great.  I felt like I had accomplished something this race.  I feel like my health is starting to come back and I am making progress.  Although it is in baby steps it is progress.  I had a great time hanging out with the team after waiting on awards.  Oh, and the cool part--lady Mad Dogs did a 1st - 5th sweep, with me getting the lucky number!!!
Me - Fifth Place
Gayle - Tweety Chair
Tiffany - 3rd 
Heather - 2nd 
Jen - 1st
Women's Sport 1st - 6th

No comments: