Friday, May 23, 2008

Stan Memorial Draper Race Pre-Ride #3

I went this afternoon to ride the Draper Race Course. I met Dale and Rachel Hutchings, and we rode the lower loop of the race course. Actually we rode all but the steep climb for 2.25 miles and the trail to the steep climb. The trail is beautiful with purple flowers and trees full of green leaves. Rachel noticed the flowers looked like fireworks....what a great observation. Heading down we followed Rachel. She is 14 and a new rider. I was so impressed with her riding. She was not afraid to take on any part of the course. I am much older than her and there are many parts of the course that I am very hesitant on. On the course there are some very tight switchbacks that are very difficult to maneuver. Rachel took one of these too tight and ended up getting launched into the trees. As I came around the switchback there she was laying on top of the trees, along with her bike. The very impressive thing was she got up, brushed herself off, and was ready to ride. I don't know if I could have done that when I was 14. The rest of the course went smoothly. There is one part of the course that we could not ride. What once was a small stream is no longer small.
Check out the water level.

No comments: