Mandy racing around on the first lap.
My race was great. Prior to the race I had some minor issues, the first was my camelback leaked. Since I wasn't sure if it was a spilt leak or a problem, I quickly got a new camelback and loaded up. Then put it in the car. Unfortunately when I changed I missed putting my inhaler and quik link in. This was a concern. Luckily I had an inhaler in my softball bag, but there was not much in it, and it was not at potent. I took 2 puffs, and then right before the race took another, and crossed my fingers it would work. I started out hard on the up and down of the first portion of the course. The goal was to get past as many racers as possible, so I wouldn't get jammed up on the little gully. I was able to hang with Dot (Mad Dog Race Team) and see her for the first of the race right up to where I was trying not to get jammed up, and of course I did. There were people blocking the way up, so it was a quick jump off the bike and tear off. Up ahead was Dot and Tasha. I thought good, as long as I can see them and they are close it will be fine. Then wouldn't you know it one spot I did not expect to get jammed and I did. I was on a double track that went to an uphill single track. There were two boys in front of me, but they were too far for me to catch. I yelled at them to speed up and get in their granny gear. One boy did and one did not, and I ended up off my bike, because he stopped and did not move his bike.....ugh so frustrating. Because I had to get off, Jolene (Utahmountainbiking.com) passed me right there. I got back on and then followed on Jolene and Tasha's heels. I was right behind them for a short time before Tasha had mechanical problems, and then Jolene broke her chain. I saw Jolene's chain broke, and I felt bad I didn't stop, but I let her know I didn't have a quick link. I then pumped it up and worked on catching Dot. Close to right before I hit the uphill switchback section I had an asthma attack, I could not get any air in. I kept trying to get air in, and nothing, my lungs would not open up. I was worried I was going to have to get off and stop in order to get air into my lungs. Luckily on the fourth or fifth try I was successful and finally got a breath in. At that point I had to ease off pushing it and spin for a little bit. This was a pretty good place to ease off, I was able to see in front and behind me. Luckily even though I had eased off I was able to continue to pass some racers. Right before I hit the downhill switchbacks I passed 2 beginning men. This was a mistake. I ended up not going fast enough for them, and they had to pass me back, along with a pro rider. I felt bad, but I stayed fairly close to them. We hit the downhill double track, and I let it go. I rode brakeless, which in the pre-rides I had never done. I knew someone was behind me, and I had to let loose in order to maintain my lead. I had lost Dot at some point on the uphill switchbacks, and that was the last I saw of her. I kept going strong for the rest of the downhill with a little uphill portion, but boy did my legs start shaking at the very end, and it was not because of the trail. At the very end I was passed by a female rider, luckily she let me know she was not in my class, or I would have had to kick it in much more. I was exhausted at the end, but I felt good, because I knew I did well. Now its time to start training for the next race.
Working to get in the lead at the first. The other rider is Jen from Mad Dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment