Went for a ride today on one of my favorite trails the Timpanooke Loop, with some fun riders Dot, Jolene and Heather. Jolene and I have done this trail, but Dot and Heather have not, so we got a chance to share one of our favorite trails. The ride was a lot of fun and all was going well until we came down to the bottom of Deer Creek South Fork. Apparently as Dot rolled across the bridge her chain decided to jump off the cassette and wrap around the inside by the spokes. And it did this without breaking the chain. It took around 30 minutes and all 4 of us to get it out. Dot had to unlink her chain and take her wheel off, and then Dot loosened the spokes (she had needle nose in her camelback--I need to get some for mine). After that it took Dot pulling in one direction Heather in the other and Jolene and I holding the wheel steady. Now it sounds like not a lot of time, but we tried a lot of different things before this was the one that worked. I should mention all of us were prepared with quick links and tools.
Hard to see in this picture, but the link is hooked onto the spoke.
Working on getting the bike fixed.
After the bike was fixed we continued on. The rest of the ride was fun. We had to stop on one of my favorite parts of the downhill for horses, but other than that the ride was smooth and fun. I hope the ride was still fun for Dot, because she was not able to shift through all of her gears, so what became a fun casual ride became more of a workout than I am sure she planned. She and Heather both had smiles on their faces when we were done, so I am guessing yes.
Time to get a new camera....these were taken while they were coming uphill. I missed Heather all together to operator malfunction.



No comments:
Post a Comment