Saturday, August 16, 2008

Why did they say that????

Like some of you my husband and I have been watching the Olympic games. As we have watched the games we've noticed reports in the paper and reporters saying and some less than thoughtful questions. Below are a few we have seen or read. Most of them my husband noticed, because unfortunately I am not as astute as he is.

Comments on Michael Phelps close win the in the 100m fly.

  • "He didn't have to be fastest. Just first" (Daily Herald Paul Newberry) Of course he had to be fastest, only the fastest is first!!!
  • "They examined the video and I think the case is closed. The video says (Phelps) finished first. "In my opinion, it's not right but we must follow the rules. Everybody saw what happened." The video showed he won, how is that not right????
  • "I'm stoked with what happened," Cavic said. "I don't want to fight this. People will be bringing this up for years and saying you won that race.... Why would anyone say you won a race you didn't, especially when there was proof you didn't.
  • "It goes to show you that not only is this guy the greatest swimmer of all time and the greatest Olympian of all time he's maybe the greatest athlete of all time..." (Associated press from Detroit) How can you be the greatest athlete if you only are the greatest at swimming. Should you be great at other sports (this is from my husband, I don't have an opinion on this statement)

Tyson Gray right after he loses in the semi-finals and does not go on to compete for the gold.

  • What a reporter asked Tyson Gay right after he did not make it into the finals for the 100m sprint. "How frustrating is it to not be running in the final?" Oh I don't know, he must be thrilled he can't run for the gold medal, he's only trained at least 4 years for this moment....duh.

NBC reporter talking to the winning USA 4x100medley swim team.

  • "What did you need to do win the race" (NBC reporter to the USA 4x100 medley swim team) Swim fast seems to be the obvious answer. I don't know if there is a lot of strategy when racing in swimming other than pace yourself and go fast.

After Youngs & Branagh lost their beach volleyball game this reporter for NBC asked some of the following questions.

  • "Elaine is your 5th place finish viewed as a accomplishment or disappointment?" They were trying for the gold medal, last Olympics Youngs got the Bronze. Of course they're not happy with 5th.
  • "Nicole, given a chance to do it over again what would you do differently?" I am sure she is going to go over and over what she would do differently for the next year, but why would she want to share all her mistakes on television, when everyone just saw them.
  • This is the best. Right after Elaine states she will not be going to anymore Olympic games the reporters turns to Nicole and goes "Nicole beach volleyball is a sport of constant partner changes. What is the future of this partnership?" Wow, I can't believe she asked this.

I am sure there are many I have missed and I am sure there are more to come. What funny comments have you heard while watching the games?

No comments: