Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jackson/Teton Icup Race #11

This race was fun and technical. Mandy had a large division for Jackson and she did very well. Unlike the pre-ride Mandy was able to ride 3 laps. She came in 7th overall and was 1st out of the girls. She looks like she is having fun riding.

My race was great. I started out pulling ahead, but not going too fast as no one was by me until all of the sudden Theresa pulled up right by me. At that point I started to push it so I could get in ahead of her on the single track. However, I didn't need to worry as we got close Theresa let me know she was going to let me in first. This was kind of her, because I know she is strong at downhill and I needed to put some distance between us. Unfortunately this did not work too well. I would get some distance and then get stuck behind a rider or have a slip on a rock. (Note, when you clear everything in pre-ride this may not be a good sign for the race). Theresa came up on me on my slip and was great she got me calmed down and then I started to clear everything and put a little distance between us. However this did not last long as we hit the downhill and came up to the first set of switchbacks...ugh. I take switchbacks way too slow. Eventually there was a spot for Theresa and she passed. I wasn't too worried as I knew there was uphill that I could close the gap or pass. The first one we came to was a small technical climb. I downshifted to get in the best gear for the climb and dropped my chain. Besides dropping it also stuck. I grimaced as I watcher Theresa knowing I may have missed a good chance to catch and pass. I made the climb and continued on seeing her on the small uphill technical stuff, but never getting close enough. I had another chain drop on the course which of course was not at a good point. Then we came to the down hill. By this time Theresa was out of my sights and I was concentrating on the course. I went down fairly well came out of the single track and came to the part that I knew was good for me the long climb. I saw Theresa and thought all I need to do is stay on my bike. I did for 3/4 of the hill until my tire skid out and around forcing me off my bike. I would like to say I ran up the hill, but I didn't. I went fast and pushed past a few people, but not fast enough. I was walking and Theresa had crested and was heading downhill. I got to the top of the hill and headed down. I went fast hoping I might meet Theresa at the final sprint out. I actually went too fast and ended up wiping out on the final corner around to the finish, and once again dropping my chain. I started to fix it and then realized it was probably faster to run in, so I ran jumped on my bike and finished. I took 2nd and did really well. There were no asthma attacks and although my pressure is low I felt great. It was a fun race.

At the first of the race on the single track.Towards the end of the race.Podium- Me, Theresa, Sally & Ruth



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, first year on a mt bike?? I spent most of my first five years bashing the crap out of myself with a group of guys in the backwoods of Massachusetts and Washington state. Maybe I should have been racing.

Anonymous said...

So is that how you got your awesome DH skills???